Cape Town is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations, and we think it is a very family friendly one too! Cape Town Kids will guide you through the jungle of information, straight to the best tips on where to eat, play, shop and stay with your kids while visiting the ‘Mother City’. We will show you which places you don’t want to miss, give you tips for great outings with different themes and make sure you go home with some very special memories!
Cape Town Dads are active, fun, adventurous, loving, involved – and sometimes at a loss for ideas on what to do with the kids… This is the space where you as a devoted Dad can find quick & easy tips on events and activities, adrenaline kicks, cool places to hang out with toddlers and teenagers, free things and stuff to splash out on, equipment, gadgets and gifts.
It’s Dad’s day out with the kids – now what?
We know that Dads love (among other things) sports, nature, music, culture, and chilling out in a coffee shop with a newspaper every now and then…
We also know that you don’t want to spend half your day searching for things to do with the kids. To make it easier for you to plan, this guide gives you tips for different age groups, indoor and outdoor activities. We will add our favourites and useful tips, and in the future you will also find specials from different companies that you might be interested in. This Guide will be updated regularly, so make sure to visit often, and don’t forget to email us your own tips!
THINGS TO DO WITH BABIES & TODDLERS
Cape Town is a fun place to explore with a baby, and in the early stage it is fairly easy to combine a stimulating experience for the little one with some relaxation for you. Here are some of our favourites!
- Sea Point Promenade – exercise for you, fresh sea air for them
- Kirstenbosch for flowers, ducks and a first splash in the stream
- Rocklands Park for lots of company and an introduction to jungle gyms and great coffee
- Two Oceans Aquarium – an amazing visual experience and a good place for a snack
- Planet Kids for tumbling and toddling on educational and fun equipment
FUN STUFF FOR DADS & KIDS
When the kids get a bit older, the demands for entertainment grow as well. These are a few tips for keeping both Dad and the kids entertained!
- Take some time out with your kids and go fishing with Born2Fish
- Take them for a ride at Cool Runnings!
- Learn about wild things at the Giraffe House
- Get creative together in a fun session of Artjamming
- See Cape Town with new eyes on the City Sightseeing Bus
If you live in Cape Town, there is one thing you know for sure: You never know what weather you will get. We are blessed with two oceans, a magnificent mountain and the South Pole as our closest neighbour in the South. These are factors that make it almost impossible to predict the weather, which again makes planning an outing with children quite a challenge.
South-Easter and blazing sun, North-Wester and rain, windless days with mist and beautiful, warm summer sunsets. We have it all, and we just need to know how to deal with it! Winter can be a test for parents of young children when the rains continue for weeks on end, and summer days can be too hot to be outside all day. In this section, you will find tips for indoor activities and outdoor gear, fun activities for windy days and other useful things to know about wild weather.
FUN THINGS TO DO OUTDOORS
- Let the little ones test the cycle track at the Giraffe House – remember to bring a change of clothes!
- Take a kite to the beach when the wind is blowing!
- Take your Boogie board to the park and surf the puddles!
PLACES TO PLAY INDOORS
- Planet Kids
- Two Oceans Aquarium
- The Ice Rink at Grand West Casino
- Bugz Kiddies Playpark
- CityRock for indoor climbing
MORE TO COME SOON!